Tuesday, January 29, 2013

writing about writing

So we started a new class this semester. A class in which she suggests we write at least 10 minutes everyday. I thought, what better way than to write on here, right? She says we shouldn't self-edit. That's going to take a lot of getting used to...Anyway. I'm just writing. This is a way that I can keep myself in check. Everything has a date stamp. No files on my computer, no loose papers that get lost or thrown away. It's in the internet now. Lost in that space that constantly hovers above our heads and looms until sucked through another computer at another access point. Another thing I was considering was poetry. I wrote poetry last year at this time and it inspired some work. What happened to that? I suppose life did. The rest of grad school, etc. But I'm going to try to pick it up again. That might require some hand written work because there is a certain way that I write poetry that I like. I like the visuals of it. But don't worry, they will be scanned and posted on here as well for each writing exercise. I think this could really get some juices flowing for my visual work. I know that it is "supposed" to get them flowing for the thesis, but writing is such an essential part of my process. Or I suppose thinking is. But to me, thinking is writing. It's just writing on the soft, easily-erasable tissue in your brain that is easily wiped away by a passing thought. So maybe it's better to put this in the Network. I know the phrase: "Once it's out there, you can't take it back." (Boy, this is really hard not to self edit. We have been trained to do it for so long...) And of course, I know the limits of what can and cannot/ should and should not be send out there in interspace. However, I do believe there is a certain account of credibility for me taking the assignment blog-style. Others can read. I can read over and over again. It is no longer a ghost that floats in my head, awaiting the moment to be expelled, which quite frankly, doesn't happen as often as it should. Is it 10 minutes yet? 8 minutes. Hm...cat. cup. cable. computer. coffee. creamer. can. cabinet. cone. carpet. well, not carpet. cap. canvas. clock. clack. clip. clap. clump. clumps. claw. cut. cringe. carry. curl. cuddle. compose. compromise. compost. cracker. cackle. cad. crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment