Thursday, February 9, 2012

another collectible for my video sketchbook

 

Alright. Two more videos today. With the first, Pressure, I thought more about what my feet were actually doing. And I think I thought too much. But I do really like the parts where you can see the pressure coming through my feet and the floor almost pushing back. So that's cool. Also, I learned from the first and marked out the frame boundaries with tape -- so that was a good learning experience.

In a way, I see this like a video sketchbook. Video has become something that feeds into my impulsive nature with ideas and the chance to have the "just do it" mentality. I'm starting to consider video more and more as a means to explore and consider my options. After all, I never tried video before -- what do I have to lose?

Now the second one I consider almost like a trailer for the finished product. I like the idea: expressing a narrative through the movement and tensions within the hand. But I want it to be longer. I want more meat to it, but not too much. For now I have called it The Birth, Life, and Death of a Man I Knew



2 comments:

  1. Anymore thoughts on sound for these? I would be curious to see that done...hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love where these are going! I think that the hands and feet tell soooo much about a person and often aren't given enough attention in performance or video art. The idea of focusing purely on the emotive capabilities of the feet and hands is great. The way that these videos are sped up in certain places and then slowed down to regular speed gives a jerky, eerie feeling... a la horror films like the grudge or the ring... but in the best way. I mean this as a positive. I love the treatment of the feet in the first video above especially - the movements seem other-worldly at certain points, and it really drives home a feeling of disconnect, eeriness and obscurity. love it. I agree with Naomi though, that the sound needs to be there, but be careful with it. The video above with the sound is headed there, but lacks something, I wish I had something good to suggest for it though :/
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete