Wednesday, November 21, 2012

one of three

The past couple of months I have been working on a particular set of rules from the rules of engagement :

punkin.
buckwheat.
tinkerbell.

My dad called all three of us kids that interchangeably. These terms are something that remind me of how he cared for us. I also consider them as something that represents his thoughts of us, his kids. I have been making costumes the coincide with these rules, all child's sized - a Halloween pumpkin costume, Tinkerbell wings, and rolled pants with suspenders like Buckwheat wore in Li'l Rascals. Finally, I figured out to make dolls to wear them. I thought I would make something that would kind of go with the legs I made before. There will be three and they will be suspended from the ceiling, kind of head height. I'm thinking the kind of height that Annette Messager suspends her sculptures.
Today, I finally have one mostly completed. This is the doll wearing the 'punkin' costume. I will be tailoring the costume to the doll a little more and make finishing touches on the doll like closing up seams, etc.


Here's the doll in punkin costume in my studio space at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment