Thursday, March 15, 2012

I like this

I think I'm going to live with this for a little before I decide if it is complete. But I really like the idea: the music is from Puccini's "Madame Butterfly". It is one of the most famous arias of the opera - "Un bel di", which means "one beautiful day". For those of you not familiar with the opera, the song is from the second act as Butterfly (a young Japanese woman) waits years and years with no sign for Pinkerton, her American husband who left her to find a "decent" American wife (the story goes that he only married her out of convenience until he could find another wife). This is the song she sings as she excitedly dreams about meeting with Pinkerton again.


The idea of waiting and waiting and the ritual that comes with waiting/greiving - that's what I'm thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment