Tuesday, March 13, 2012

We all have our falls...

Ok. So I tried a new attempt at the first video I did with the hand. I'll be honest -- I don't like it. There are parts I like: when my hand is profile and my fingers are just barely moving. So maybe I'll work with that alone? It is definitely not finished, but I certainly don't like where it is going. The more I work on it, the more I think about the first one I did - how can I make it like that one? What am I doing wrong? And then I thought, maybe the first one is the one I choose? - Perhaps I needed to attempt to make this idea more complete in order to realize it was already complete. I think I'm going to go back to the first and see what I may want to do with it. I just thought I would post this up here to let you know what I have been working on (even if unsuccessful).

5 comments:

  1. I do like how you play with the focus at the very beginning, and even if you don't like it as a whole I think it's got some really great segments (my favorites are around 0:31-0:41 and 1:06-1:20)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin, like you said.. its good to experiment. Do you not like using your hand to express tension? Or is it how you filmed it that you don't like? Stream of thought... 0:49 - 1:00 is my favorite.

    Slow might be best for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the hand becomes an entity itself and how the focus goes from blurry to clear and how your thumb pops out from your fisted palm. Nothing is a failure or fall, it's all a discovery to our own paths of eureka!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caitlin,
    I agree w everything already said. You're in a process of shooting and editing, shooting and editing...much like the process of writing thoughts in a stream of conscious and trying to put them together into something cogent. Keep shooting and collecting footage. Think about footage you may need for transitions from one thing to the next. This one may not come together in one sitting. It may not come together this month, or this semester. Give it the time it needs. Keep plugging away at it.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps.
    do you know the video and photo work of Oliver Herring? if not, look him up online.

    ReplyDelete