Monday, March 12, 2012

new favorite thing

So facebook did something good for a change. A friend from undergrad that I haven't spoken to in a while is working out in Pittsburgh and she posted a video of a Butoh dance performed by Kazuo Ohno - I'm obsessed! I started reading about butoh, the history, the significance, what it means. This is perfect. Here is one of Kazuo Ohno - so beautiful, so incredible.

I definitely want to explore this medium more and use it in videos. Paul's wife, Jackie has a list of places I could go to dance that I could use to practice this new medium. Perhaps she may even know some butoh dancers? I am very excited about this. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

2 comments:

  1. i defiantly see the relevance to your recent work. I also think the water and the noises with it could be a good tool for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jasmine and how you should keep exploring how to use sound. In the first video, I didn't expect any sound to be produced by the dancer and was surprised (and delighted!) when I heard it. And the second one has a score that reminds me of the work that Jeanine's brother composes. But yea, both awesome.

    Also, I bet Imre Thormann can do a killer robot.

    ReplyDelete